Bass guitar lessons
I focus on teaching the fundamentals of bass playing, most important are creating a great feel and groove to your playing, good time keeping, interpreting other musicians & holding the groove for the rest of the band. These are essential skills for any good bass player whatever your style.
My bass guitar lessons are flexible & go at a pace that suits you; I will cover the most important and fun aspects of bass playing and whilst some music theory is essential, I will keep it to a minimum and focus on the practical aspects to get you up and playing quickly.
Bass Lessons Cover:
- First grooves, holding down a steady bass groove
- Playing along with your first songs
- Major/ Minor scales & basic music theory
- jamming with guitar, locking with the drummer
- Making up your own grooves and improvising basslines
- Playing different bass styles – rock, reggae, funk, folk, blues etc.
- Walking (finger) bass lines or playing with a plectrum
- The joys of getting a good live or studio sound, bass effects, compression & music tech
I mainly play rock, reggae, and funk but can handle blues, jazz & many other types of music if that’s your thing.
I’m a fairly proficient rhythm guitarist & many students find that they benefit from jamming along to live guitar and click track/drums whilst they play the groove on bass.
I also provide custom made backing tracks which you can take home & practice with. Hearing your own playing subjectively is crucial so I often record your sessions so that you can listen and analyse your bass lines at home.
I am fully CRB checked (DBS), a copy of my enhanced CRB is available on demand.
Im based in Skipton, North Yorkshire, Lessons take place in a relaxed environment at my home in Skipton town centre, but I also may be available for mobile bass guitar lessons within a 10 mile radius of Skipton, including Ilkley, Keighley, Harrogate & Barnoldswick
Please contact me for more info.