Bass guitar repairs | Bass setups
I provide bass guitar repair & set up services for bass players in North Yorkshire. Although many of my customers find me through this site, a lot of my work comes from repeat business & word of mouth recommendations, my bass set ups are second to none & I can tame even the most hideously set up basses (There are a fair few of those about).
Whether its your trusty old bass guitar you have been playing for years, or a brand new bass, straight from the music shop, most bass guitars can benefit from a precise set up.
Bass Guitar set up procedure
- Shim & adjust neck angle (bolt on neck basses only).
- Adjust the neck relief using the truss rod for consistent playability & action across the entire neck.
- Adjust the individual string heights on the bridge saddles for optimum balance between playability & quality of tone.
- Set height and balance of the bass pickup for balanced volume across all strings, set individual pole pieces height if applicable..
- Remove strings, clean & oil fingerboard (rosewood boards only)
- Refit new bass strings.
- Adjust intonation on the bridge for optimum tempered tuning across the neck.
- Check wiring, earths, and clean pots and jack sockets.
Bass Guitar upgrades
- New Pickups installed
- Active circuits fitted
- Upgrade bridges & machine heads
- Rewires, alternate wirings, new pots & jack sockets fitted
- Bone nut fitted for better action & cleaner more sustained tone
I studied for two years at Leeds College of Music as an electric guitar maker and repairer. I was privileged to be taught by Gordon Whitham, founding partner in the respected UK guitar company Gordon Smith Guitars.
Over the two year course I built two solid body guitars (one electric bass & one six string electric guitar). I also undertook countless guitar repairs from a basic guitar set up, to more complex repairs such as re frets, fitting new fingerboards and even repair of a snapped neck on a vintage Gibson Les Paul custom.
Whilst I no longer have access to a full workshop and tools, I still take on minor guitar repairs and set ups. I’m also an electronics nerd so if its a wiring problem or a dead active circuit I can usually quickly diagnose and repair.
I tend to specialise on setting up bass guitars, but I am equally happy setting up 6 string electrics too.